Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garbage disposal not working

My In-sinkerator was working, then it suddenly stopped. When I turn
it on now, I hear a "hum" -- as if it is in fact turned on, but no
grinding or anything. I've read some tips, put a plunger handle in
there with the power off. It doesn't "seem" like it is clogged,
although I know that may not be the case. The "hum" when I turn it on
almost makes me believe that it turns on, but maybe the motor is
dead? It is about 12 years old.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 2:28 pm, wrote:
My In-sinkerator was working, then it suddenly stopped. When I turn
it on now, I hear a "hum" -- as if it is in fact turned on, but no
grinding or anything. I've read some tips, put a plunger handle in
there with the power off. It doesn't "seem" like it is clogged,
although I know that may not be the case. The "hum" when I turn it on
almost makes me believe that it turns on, but maybe the motor is
dead? It is about 12 years old.

Something's blocking it from turning. Unplug the unit, stick the hex
wrench that came with the unit in the hole at the bottom of the unit
and work it back and forth, see if you can free it up. If you don't
have the wrench, think it's 1/4 inch hex wrench. If you don't have one
in your toolbox, go to the hardware or home store and buy one.

Here's a troubleshooting page for you from the Insinkerator website.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 2:44 pm, Jerry wrote:

Here's a troubleshooting page for you from the Insinkerator website.

Oops, forgot the link.

http://www.insinkerator.com/pdf/disp...leshooting.pdf

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Oct, 22:23, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
My In-sinkerator was working, then it suddenly stopped. When I turn
it on now, I hear a "hum" -- as if it is in fact turned on, but no
grinding or anything. I've read some tips, put a plunger handle in
there with the power off. It doesn't "seem" like it is clogged,
although I know that may not be the case. The "hum" when I turn it on
almost makes me believe that it turns on, but maybe the motor is
dead? It is about 12 years old.

Putting the plunger handle in is insufficient - you've got to be able to
TURN the turnable stuff inside the disposal.

Fuss with the handle and pressure in various directions until the innards
rotate.

If you can't get the guts to move, you can put a hex wrench on the axle from
the bottom and wiggle the shaft until it DOES turn.

Shine a light down the gizmo's throat. Do you see anything that might be
jamming it (spoon, engagement ring, bone, the missing cat)? If so use
someone's smallish hand to reach in and retrieve the item.

It's probably not a good idea to turn on the disposal with the hand (not
yours, of course) still inside. It's not as big a deal as you might think if
the instrument comes to life while various human appendages are in a
vulnerable position - there are no blades inside. Couple of broken fingers.
Tops.

Couple of broken fingers. Tops.

Obviously you never saw Amityville Horror, Vol. 4: The Evil Escapes
(1989) or, more recently, Heroes.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/17/comm...abiz/index.htm

FWIW, I was born in Amityville, NY. My wife sometimes refers to me as
the original Amityville Horror.