Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Anyone Have a Westward 1KEN7 Drill Press (1 HP, 1 Ph., 20", MT3, etc.)

I am a bit disappointed. I had seen a Delta drill press with the
laser set up. It shot a crosshair as I recall, though I didn't
study it well. The laser unit on the Westward has two beams, but
they are not at right angles to each other and so do not create a
typical crosshair. Looks great and usable on a sheet of white
paper laying flat on the work top, in real life, not so usable. I
think if the lines crossed closer to a 90 it would more usable,
though the lines are adjustable to fine tune and stay where they
are set. This unit is fairly new to me, less than 2 months. It
does everything I ask of it and does it well, and boy is it heavy
and solid.

I have looked at just doing away with the laser. It would come
off readily I think, but the depth gauge is attached to it and
would require a rethink. I've just not had the time or need to do
it. I acquired a Leeson 1 1/2 horse variable speed DC motor from
a discarded treadmill. I think I am more interested in setting it
up with a double pole, double throw switch to make it reversible
than in fiddling with the laser. I would also like to get a
tapping head for it. Right now it's just getting used.

Glad you were able to get your information.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Dan,

Thanks for the offer. Very much appreciated.

If you want a drawing of the quill on your machine in PDF or
ACAD format, let me know. It's NOT a parts drawing. It's only
a drawing showing the measurements for a multiple spindle head
or similar quill attachment.

Someone else came along and provided the info from another group
so I'm all set at this point.

One thing I would love to know though is how well the laser
guided spotting works and whether it looks removable, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
http://www.AutoDrill.com

V8013-R

"DanG" wrote in message
Yes, Joe I have one. I won't be back at the shop till Monday.
Send me a list of what you need. I have modified the table
lock and table raising crank and have installed a large
removable wood table cover.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Anyone got one?

I'm looking for some measurements off the machine. One
measurement is needed to .001" but the rest could be provided
to 1/16" or so and would work just fine for me...

These are Grainger sold drill presses... If someone is
visiting a Grainger and can take measurements, I'll take care
of you...

Thanks to anyone who can help...