Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Roofing Vent Pipe question

No screens normally needed. However, birds and squirrels have been known to
drop in and birds have been known to build a nest on the top and drop a lot
of junk down the pipe with the whole nest sometimes sliding down. It is rare
but has happened. They do make a mushroom cap that fits over the top to
prevent drop-ins while still allowing the vent to function fully. I have
never seen a screen made to fit the vent pipe.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Had the roof redone and finally got up to take a look at the
job....it's a local company with a good reputation. Heck, I even knew
people who have worked there now and again.

Anyway, what is the standard with the vent pipes from the various
drain fixtures. The roofers put new flashing, etc. around them and I
think put some new sort of something or others around the pipes (real
specific here, aren't I???).

But the pipes don't have any screens at the top. Now, honestly, I
don't think the old pipes did either, but just checking.....no screens
needed, right?