Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Vent Pipe question

Had the roof redone and finally got up to take a look at the
job....it's a local company with a good reputation. Heck, I even knew
people who have worked there now and again.

Anyway, what is the standard with the vent pipes from the various
drain fixtures. The roofers put new flashing, etc. around them and I
think put some new sort of something or others around the pipes (real
specific here, aren't I???).

But the pipes don't have any screens at the top. Now, honestly, I
don't think the old pipes did either, but just checking.....no screens
needed, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

No screens normally needed. However, birds and squirrels have been known to
drop in and birds have been known to build a nest on the top and drop a lot
of junk down the pipe with the whole nest sometimes sliding down. It is rare
but has happened. They do make a mushroom cap that fits over the top to
prevent drop-ins while still allowing the vent to function fully. I have
never seen a screen made to fit the vent pipe.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Had the roof redone and finally got up to take a look at the
job....it's a local company with a good reputation. Heck, I even knew
people who have worked there now and again.

Anyway, what is the standard with the vent pipes from the various
drain fixtures. The roofers put new flashing, etc. around them and I
think put some new sort of something or others around the pipes (real
specific here, aren't I???).

But the pipes don't have any screens at the top. Now, honestly, I
don't think the old pipes did either, but just checking.....no screens
needed, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
But the pipes don't have any screens at the top. Now, honestly, I
don't think the old pipes did either, but just checking.....no screens
needed, right?

No screens allowed, IIRC. You don't want vapor forming on a screen and
freezing, or leaves clogging it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP here again.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. The mushroom caps sound
interesting, but now that you have confirmed that the pipes are not
normally screens, I guess I've live dangerously. LOL

As I said, I was pretty sure I've never seen the vents screens, but
you know I never really paid much attention before....