Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Can a granite counter top be "notched"?

RickH wrote:

I just had very complicated granite tops made by an outfit that had a
CNC water cutting robot. And I got to see them cut it. The damn
thing could literally cut ANY shape and with no dust, just high
pressure water. If you could find someplace with a computer
controlled water cutter they probably wont even charge for the complex
cuts, but everyone charges to the nearest full rectangle, IOW you pay
for all the waste. The cutting head not only moved on x/y axis but
could also angle the jet so deep bevels, under-cut bevels etc could be
done just as easily as a straight line. I was not upcharged for any
of my detailed cuts, I just paid for the total square footage
including waste. The only thing the water jet couldnt do was the ogee
edge, but a different router table did that, also with the slab
submerged in water so no dust.

Why would someone who has a CNC cutting machine not charge for complex
cuts? They did spend a few bucks for the machine and someone has to know
how to program the work.