Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Trip to harbor freight (grinding)

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:15:38 -0700, Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Oct 27, 11:32 am, matt wrote:
**** a Duck - you Yanks are totally up yourselves. Your complaining
the 149.50 tool grinder is not up to scratch.....JHC, what the **** do
you want for that? - do you expect a high precision industrial quality
instrument? - yeh, sure, if its a sale from the rust belt of US
manufacturing, else its totally worn out....wow, $16 for 200 miles in
gas cost - wish the rest of the world had it so cheap....

Mate, you well off, just too dumb to realise it.....

Andrew VK3BFA.- Hide quoted text -

As a bemused by-stander, I must agree. We have had it far too good for
far too long here. The decimation of the US industrial manufacturing
base
due to both poor response to global competition and the "WalMart"
consumer mentality in this country is staggering. In the area of
Chinese
tools, there is a lot to choose from, but it has now actually become
quite
difficult to distinguish in some cases what the actual country of
origin
may be, since so many US suppliers now outsource the "dirty work" to
China or other countries, then rebrand the item as their own. I am of
course guilty of buying from HF those items that don't have a high
level of criticality as I see it. I would never trust a Chinese 6"
caliper
to work as my only measuring tool, in constant use, but for occasional
use, my Chinese 12" dial caliper (at $39 or whatever the hell it was)
is
a good example of the "value" equation. One buys Chinese with the
full knowledge that quality is widely variable, repair may be needed
before first use, and safety is never paramount in the product. If you
can live with that, you have the opportunity to get some real deals,
and further the cause of US economic decline at the same time.

The post of the day...excellent assessment of the situation.

We are the enemy.

Not me, I'd make my own *shoes* if there were more hours in the day.
I've found more than a few times that even my first half-assed
attempts at making stuff I need works out far better than the crap on
offer most places these days.