Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a granite counter top be "notched"?

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I would like the counter top to extend outside pass the exterior wall by
about 10" so the 8' window is a pass through window (slider window). The
smaller window to the right will be just a picture window. I am trying to
determine do I size the smaller window bottom to be higher than the
counter top height so it's just a regular window?

or do I size it such that the large window is a pass through and the
smaller window will have the counter top as the "sill" but not pass
through?

If I'm reading this right, you want the counter top to extend out from the
kitchen to an outside area, such as a deck? While the idea sounds
intriguing, it may also offer some construction headaches, such as sealing
the windows properly. I'd consider making the smaller window the pass
through if that is at all practical. The countertop sounds expensive with
all those cuts, but a pro may have other ideas. I'd certainly talk to one
or two to see if they are either up to the challenge or laugh you out.