Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Can a granite counter top be "notched"?

I am installing a counter top along a wall with two windows.

One window is wide 8' wide and then a section of exterior wall (10" wide
with a vent stack inside for the sink and dishwasher), then to it's right
another window 3' wide.

I would like the counter top to extend outside pass the exterior wall by
about 10" so the 8' window is a pass through window (slider window). The
smaller window to the right will be just a picture window. I am trying to
determine do I size the smaller window bottom to be higher than the counter
top height so it's just a regular window?

or do I size it such that the large window is a pass through and the smaller
window will have the counter top as the "sill" but not pass through?

Can they cut a granite that starts with a notch, then 12" over protudes 10"
for eight feet, then a notch for 10" then protrudes for only 4" for another
36", then another notch for 8"? This is something typically done or would
be unusual?

Thanks,

MC