Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default split ac unit install question

not sure if this is the right forum.

i'm planning on installing a "split" air conditioning
and heating unit in my attached 2 car garage (presently
insulated but unconditioned/unheated).

the side i'd like to mount the air handler/cooling/heating
unit on is a load bearing wall.

i might be worried over nothing, but since it is a load
bearing wall, would mounting that "split" part of the system
to the studs on that wall create any potential structural
problems. i don't see how it would, but thought i'd get
some opinions.

the other question is, in order to run the lines to that
split unit to the outside condensor/fan, we need to drill
openings in that load bearing wall. so if you go in between
the studs, it should be fine - right ? - how would a
reputable contractor seal up these holes after they've
run the lines ? (since the Tyvek, and CDX plyscore thats
under the vinyl siding is compromised by the hole)...is
it just a matter of injecting some sealing foam/compound?

thanks in advance for any responses.