Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default Can Miswired Receptacle Affect Others?

bud-- wrote:
John Ross wrote:

These are 2 prong outlets. Those testers are for 3. Is there a way to
test the 2 prong outlets?
John

You can use a neon tester
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family
The neon 'lamp' has 2 parallel rods and it glows orange on voltage (like
a neon sign). Plug one lead into a receptacle slot and touch the other
lead. The lamp will glow *very dimly* if the slot is 'hot'. You probably
will have to cup you hand around it to block other light. These lamps
work at very low current and can light even if you are insulated from
everything (capacitive current).

OK, Bud, you want me to place one lead in a socket and touch the other
lead to myself? I think a little bit of explanation is needed before I
would do that!

And how come everyone else says you need a ground for those to work?

There are also many 'non-contact' voltage detectors like
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/gree...9022/?ref=base
that light up or make sound when placed at the 'hot' receptacle slot.
(Some may have to be closer to the conductor - don't know about this one.)

Have you ever tried that? I saw an eletrician with one of those, and
when it was about a few inches from the *entire* outlet, it went off.

--
John