Posted to alt.home.repair
Frugal Farmer Frugal Farmer is offline

Default Tricky eBay Transaction

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:40:36 -0700, wrote:

No, Paypal is different because the credit card company has a
contractual relationship with Paypal, not the person you had Paypal
wire it to after they received the funds on a legitimate processing
request from you. It's almost like taking a cash advance on your CC
at an ATM, then taking the cash, buying a fake watch, getting ripped
off, and expecting the CC bank to cover it. If this guy took CC
directly, then VISA would have a contractual relationship with him,
would have checked his credit worthiness, etc. With the money going
through Paypal, the CC bank has no way of knowing who the money is
sent to or for what.

I follow your argument. I dont have answers for you. I would like to
know myself how it works except my visa cust.serv. just about had it
with me calling in asking the same question over and over again.

Which is better than nothing, but you don't know exactly what is
recorded there in a few brief notes or how it will be interpreted if
you come calling for $3500 and they aren't so eager to pay.
would not trust what anyone told me verbally as you have no proof
later. I'd want to see VISA's policy in writing that explicitly
deals with Paypal transactions.

it's all verbal but I am supposed to wait and get a ref.# after they
review the sales contract so I cxn proceed with my purchase

Maybe I'm missing something, but since he wants money in his bank
BEFORE he ships, how will he not know that payment hasn't been
received until you agree you are satisfied either way?

the misunderstanding is due to the cut & paste b.s. that goes on
here.
My visa cust rep. is looking at this as a "here and now" situation and
I am reporting it as a future transaction "my visa-paypal-seller".
Thus, paypal will process my cc# and seller gets a confirmation that
payment was made, yet, selller will not be able to whisk the funds to
his other (offshore) account until I sign for goods received. If I
dont sign, the funds ( at paypal?) will be yanked out, seller gets
nothing.

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter...ml?_trksid=m40

You can report him there. If you have a quote for those shingles he
sent to you to sell them to you outside of Ebay, it is a clear
violation. I'd be very interested in hearing what, if any, response
you get, other than a form email back.

I most certainly do have the quote, sales order number, invoice, list
of parts (including shingles that were quoted on ebay), emails,
headers w/ time & dates, etc. All what is missing is the steel roof
in my driveway.
Before I give it to ebay, I will give the seller a chance to make
good on his promise to ship the goods.

unless you do the escrow or can pick it up and pay then. And any
legitimate business seller should understand that.

my visa will do that and no, he doesnt understand "that" as I already
discussed it with him repeatedly on the phone and email

Maybe because his credit and banking history is so bad that he the
credit card companies won't do business with him.

- only the seller,
Gary McElligott
Operations Manager
Code Camey and Associates, Inc.
479-229-1302/479-886-1590
can answer that with absolute certainty.