Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Do toilets break if they freeze?

According to observer :
Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Toller :

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

Take a glass (glass, not plastic) of water and stick it in your
freezer. Odds are that it'll shatter.

Well, normal weather is a little different. It comes on much slower and
doesn't get as cold.

"Normal" weather here does do those things, and gets much colder.

Water doesn't go through a "plastic" phase when transforming to ice
no matter how slow the process is. Or at least, not at anything
approaching ordinary pressures.

Frozen water will shatter your toilet. Not sure how warm or cold the
weather is where you are but my winters are around -20C (that's -4
Fahrenheit for you guys).

FYI: every winter we usually get a week or two where the high
temperature is -25C, with nights hitting -40C (that's -40F for
our friends down south).
--
Chris Lewis,