Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] kp7722@yahoo.com is offline

Default Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms?

Hi,

I've recently moved into a 30 year old house which current has a warm
loft. The insulation is up against the roof with plasterboard keeping
it put. I understand that there needs to be a gap between the
insulation and the roof felt and I have no reason to suspect that this
wasn't done. There is no insulation in the loft floor. There are also
no vents in the eaves which I presume is correct when having a warm
loft.

My question is how much heat is lost from the bedrooms into the warm
loft? And is it very ineffecient to have a warm loft if I only store
things up there? We want to keep storing items in the loft but at the
same time keep the heat in the bedrooms. Should I insulate in the loft
floor as well or will this cause me problems with condensation, etc.
What is recommended for this situation? If I insulate the loft floor
do I need to remove the insulation in the roof and add some vents in
the eaves, therefore converting it into a cold loft? Could I just add
some 100mm/170mm thickness insulation in the loft floor to allow some
heat to stay in the room and allow some heat into the loft?

Many thanks in advance,
Paul.