Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Estimating wooden ramp strength

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:04:00 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Any one of those specs exceeded and the Highway Patrol can side line the
trailer until the load can be made legal and weight tickets like this are
priced by the pound.

In my state of CT, you register a trailer for a stated gross weight,
subject to inspection. All homebuilt trailers are required to be
inspected to get initial and transfer registrations. Are there
states that just hand a plate to a homebuilt trailer without
inspecting it? I would imagine Ig had to have his fine workmanship
inspected at registration.

If you're under the card GVW weights for the trailer and tow vehicle,
you're good to go, no negotiating required.

Many recent pickups are rated for at least a 6000 pound tow. Even my
"midsize" '05 Tacoma can legally tow 6500. Unless you're driving
like a bad episode of "CHIPS", I doubt most cops would bat an eyelash
at Ig's trailer behind a full-size pickup.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **