Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default Cedar Post: Does Any Product Really Work to Retard Rot?

Thanks. I have gone with Behr Post Preservative (Similar to Cuprinol)
and will dump some pea stones in the hole before I set the post.
How's that for a compromise???
Frank

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:21:40 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to frank1492 :
Thanks to all. I have a gallon of Behr Post Protector (similar to the
Cuprinol) home but will consider the tar idea which makes a lot of
sense also. (Why not apply the roofing tar up the sides of the post
as well?)
Thanks again!
Frank
P.S. At Home Depot, is that called Roof Sealer?

Caution: coating the bottom of the post with tar will prevent the
bottom of the post drying out, and will accelerate rot. This
only works with pressure-applied anti-rot that leaves the bottom
of the post still able to drain.

You want the bottom of the post being able to dry. That means
using materials that _don't_ seal the wood below grade, and
parking the very bottom of the post in something that
drains well. Like gravel.