Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cedar Post: Does Any Product Really Work to Retard Rot?

I have a specially turned cedar lamp post that I would like to
preserve from rot as best possible. I have looked at various
products but, based on the viscosity of the liquid and the
fact that they seem to be water-based, I don't have much
confidence in them.
Is there any product that really works??
Thanks.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote in message
I have a specially turned cedar lamp post that I would like to
preserve from rot as best possible. I have looked at various
products but, based on the viscosity of the liquid and the
fact that they seem to be water-based, I don't have much
confidence in them.
Is there any product that really works??
Thanks.
Frank

I have cedar posts that have been in use in the garden for 15 years. I
treated them with Green Cuprinol:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...d+Preservative

The posts show no signs of trouble so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:32:51 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

I have a specially turned cedar lamp post that I would like to
preserve from rot as best possible. I have looked at various
products but, based on the viscosity of the liquid and the
fact that they seem to be water-based, I don't have much
confidence in them.
Is there any product that really works??
Thanks.
Frank

Seal the end with tar. Roofing tar should work OK. Dig the hole 1
foot deeper and have the post rest on top of gravel. The post should
last 15 years or perhaps many more. My mailbox post is going on its
17th year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all. I have a gallon of Behr Post Protector (similar to the
Cuprinol) home but will consider the tar idea which makes a lot of
sense also. (Why not apply the roofing tar up the sides of the post
as well?)
Thanks again!
Frank
P.S. At Home Depot, is that called Roof Sealer?

wrote:

I have a specially turned cedar lamp post that I would like to
preserve from rot as best possible. I have looked at various
products but, based on the viscosity of the liquid and the
fact that they seem to be water-based, I don't have much
confidence in them.
Is there any product that really works??
Thanks.
Frank

Seal the end with tar. Roofing tar should work OK. Dig the hole 1
foot deeper and have the post rest on top of gravel. The post should
last 15 years or perhaps many more. My mailbox post is going on its
17th year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 1:32 pm, frank1492 wrote:
I have a specially turned cedar lamp post that I would like to
preserve from rot as best possible. I have looked at various
products but, based on the viscosity of the liquid and the
fact that they seem to be water-based, I don't have much
confidence in them.
Is there any product that really works??
Thanks.
Frank

Frank-

How about a metal post base where the wood is slightly ~2" above the
dirt?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to frank1492 :
Thanks to all. I have a gallon of Behr Post Protector (similar to the
Cuprinol) home but will consider the tar idea which makes a lot of
sense also. (Why not apply the roofing tar up the sides of the post
as well?)
Thanks again!
Frank
P.S. At Home Depot, is that called Roof Sealer?

Caution: coating the bottom of the post with tar will prevent the
bottom of the post drying out, and will accelerate rot. This
only works with pressure-applied anti-rot that leaves the bottom
of the post still able to drain.

You want the bottom of the post being able to dry. That means
using materials that _don't_ seal the wood below grade, and
parking the very bottom of the post in something that
drains well. Like gravel.
--
Chris Lewis,