Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Default Cutting openings in sheet metal ducts.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
BETA-32 wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and
return ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

sure, just get some GOOD tinsnips. then you just need to make a hole big
enough to get the snips in and it will cut surprisingly easily.

nate

Another vote for tin snips. Quiet, safe and accurate (once you get the hang
of it).

I ended up with good ones from a the Snap-On truck that used to stop by the
place I worked, when I was doing custom car audio installations a million
years ago. If nobody here offers any specific brand names for "good ones",
Snap-On is a safe bet. http://www.snap-on.com/

Tin snips.