Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tricky eBay Transaction

On Oct 26, 1:59 pm, h wrote:
"Frugal Farmer" wrote in message

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:09:20 -0400, h wrote:

Ok, ONE MORE TIME. Use a credit card with PayPal. If you don't receive the
merchandise your CREDIT CARD ISSUER will refund your money. PayPal's $200
limit is irrelevant. Your best bet is ALWAYS to use a credit card for any
purchase, whether it is directly with the merchant or through PayPal. How
many times do we have to tell you this? Sheesh.

And OK, ONE MORE TIME. I told in the previous thread that I took your
advice to my bank manager and she told me, in no uncertain terms, that
I am on my own and her bank will not reverse the charge because it is
in paypal's disclaimer w/ credit card issuers as to what amount they
guarantee for each transaction.
Who am I going to believe? You or my bank? are you going to be there
when I am out $3100 and say sorry, I was wrong? here's the money
you're out? If you are ready to guarantee with your own money how my
bank will deal w/ paypal, then I am ready to purchase the product on
eBay as per your instructions. Are you up to it?

Your credit card is issued by a local bank? Doubt it. You're most likely
talking to your "bank manager" about your debit card, which has a MC/V logo
on it. Debit cards are a disaster waiting to happen, in that the bank never,
ever, has to give you any money bank, since it's money from your checking
account.

PayPal is a third-party vendor, and they do not control the terms of your
credit card. If you really do have a true "credit card" issued by a local
bank which does NOT honor the MC/V guarantees, then you should switch cards.
The PayPal $200.00 guarantee is designed to protect people using a bank
account to fund the transaction, NOT a credit card.

LAST TIME. As a merchant, I know that no matter the method, if the client
doesn't receive something they bought using a credit card, they don't pay
for it. Period.

Yes. that's right. And who's the merchant in this case? Paypal,
because they are the merchant registered with the credit card
companies and are in the business of accepting the money via credit
card and then forwarding the money on to someone, just as instructed
by the card holder. And that is where it ends. The transaction
where MC/VISA paid Paypal was legitimate and authorized. Paypal then
sent the money where it was supposed to go. End of story. The
credit card company is not going to reverse the charge or get involved
in the dispute. You think if you use a credit card through Paypal
to send $3000 to some Joe Schmoe unknown party, that Citibank is going
to make good because the guy took your money and never sent anything?
If they did that, the doors to fraud would be wide open, because just
about anyone can open up a Paypal account.

Since you're clearly so afraid of this transaction you shouldn't go through
with it. It's probably best that you never buy anything online.- Hide quoted text -