Posted to rec.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Sealing Pine Knots

I've used Kilz over pine, it DOES allow bleeding of tanins from the wood.
Sorry...
Kate

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ps.com...
If you are using bullseye shellac out of the can, it is not dewaded
and could be one reason paint isn't coveriing well over it.
Regardless, look for another product by Zinser called Killz (not sure
about spelling). It is a covering primer that I think has some shellac
in it. It is also perfect for covering sappy knots and is a white
primer paint. I would do one complete base coat of this with maybe a
liitle more where you have the knots, then the top coat of paint will
be consistent.

If you want to stick with shellac you can stry scuff sanding before
you do a top coat. With Killz you can build it up thick and then sand
it out to get a very smooth base for your paint, which is really
reccomended for any over wood application if you want smooth finish.

On Oct 24, 6:22 am, "efgh" wrote:
I've been using shellac to seal pine knots and I've been happy with the
results in that the knot doesn't bleed through. The problem I have is
that
I usually end up painting the project with white paint which doesn't cover
the shellaced spots very well. I have to put on at three coats of paint
cover it and even then, it still doesn't look very good. Before anyone
suggests I switch to a different type of wood, I use pine because it's
cheap
and I don't mind covering it with paint. I'm not a big fan of using a
hardwood to just cover it up with paint.

Does anyone else use something besides shellac to seal the knots that
works
well when painted? I know Zinser makes a primer that includes shellac and
I've used it before but after a year or so, the knots still bleed through.

My method once sanding is complete is to put the shellac on the knots,
sand
lightly with 220 grit, then apply latex primer, sand again lightly with
220
grit, then apply latex paint.

Thanks in advance.