Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Weller WHS

Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:52:48 -0500, clifto wrote:

I never liked Weller. Never could get a tip to last a week.

It all depends on whether you use genuine Weller tips or not and the
solder you use. I have used a WTCP since the 60's and for everyday use
a tip would last at least 6mths when using rosin cored activated
solder such as Multicore Sav-bit.

Those replacement tips from Vanier were never any good imo - even
using Sav-bit.

One of the many, many problems with the WTCP is their uncanny ability to
develop faulty temp switches. Then the tips run wide open and burn up in
an hour or two.

I stopped devoting one or two days per month repairing soldering
stations, the day I threw all the Wellers in the dumpster and replaced
them with Edsyn.

I used to buy Weller TCP at auctions , recondition and sell on, and I only
ever came across open circuit switches. Agreed you have to treat them with
respect, ie not clouting them against chassis sides or dropping on the
floor. Perhaps if the wrong retention barrels (too much iron) or some other
mechanical mismatch was causing the switches to close permanently.
The thermal element is in the magnastat, losing magnetism at its formulated
temperature.
Not many people realise that the closure barrel that holds the tips in place
is factored into the magnastat operation.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England