Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default good kitchen floor choice

h wrote:
Yes, any water heater that is located where leakage will result in
damage should have a pan with a drain routed to take any water to a
safe dumping point. And a $10 water alarm, which you can set in the
pan or on the floor.-

Ok, what am I missing? How can a water heater flood the kitchen when the
water heater is in the basement and the kitchen is one floor up? How many
people don't have full basements? Is it really a house if there isn't a full
basement? Certainly not in upstate NY. I don't even think it's legal to not
have a basement here.

Are you really this clueless, or just trying out new fishing gear? Not
everyone can afford modern houses on proper basements, and in many
areas,the water table makes basements impractical. There is no way they
can require a basement, but common sense and local soil conditions may
make that the most common practice around there. Here in midwest, some
fancy-looking subdivisions are actually all above crawlspaces, not
because of water table, but to keep the price low- you can't see the
basement from the curb. (They also only put brick on the outside walls
visible from street...) Lots and lots of cheap slab houses, older houses
on piers or crawlspaces, modern prefab modular houses on crawlspaces,
etc, many with the furnace/utility closet and laundry room right off the
kitchen. Cheap house, you try to minimize the number of 'wet walls' and
pipe runs, and make them as short as possible. I've seen double-wide
modulars where ALL the plumbing was in one half, so they wouldn't have
to pay for hooking up stubs to other half. Not even an outside hose bib
on that side- they were on the ends.

aem sends...