Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default CA. Fires - What's wrong with the inspectors?

DA had written this in response to
http://thestuccocompany.com/maintena...rs-261311-.htm
:
Dave Bugg wrote:

Nope, that isn't the issue at all. The issue are is regulations
prohibiting
mechanical clearing of the grounds of high brush and tilling the ground
for
firebreaks where it would be appropriate.

You must have missed this little detail from all the news: with 100MPH
winds you can't clear enough land around every house to prevent the fire
from spreading so quick.

I have just returned from a trip to San Diego, interrupted by the fire of
course, and I can say that people live there because it's a beautiful
place. The weather is just right, the scenery is perfect and there is no
reason Southern CA should be less livable than the NE. They will rebuild
the houses like they always do.

Well, I guess next time the landscapers should probably go little easier
on eucalypt trees. The peeling bark looks like paper and I'm pretty sure
catches on fire just as quick as paper. Then there might be other benefits
(like drought resistance) that might outweigh the fire risk, but it seem a
bit scary to have a tree like that next to your house in a fire like that.

Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/