Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CA. Fires - What's wrong with the inspectors?

wrote in message
I dont live in or near California,

The part that gets me is why are so many homes burning? We live in a
time when every wirenut in our electrical system needs to be approved,
and we can not even erect a simple shed without some sort of approval
to insure it's safe. Installing a wood stove involves a major amount
of paperwork, inspections, and most insurance companies won't even
allow them without a huge increase in the cost of the policy.

It is evident you don't live there and have never visted the places in
question. Especially during the Santa Ana winds.

With that said, it seems that the biggest reasons for these major
fires in CA are not faulty wiring or causes INSIDE the home, but these
firestorms. Therefore, would it not make sense to require a certain
amount of open (mowed) space around buildings in areas prone to these
firestorms, or at least prevent them from burning the buildings.

Uh, they do and yes, it helps.

It seems to me that the inspectors overdo it as far as small details
within homes but ignore the external causes. Not everyone is the
country is in a firestorm area, but those that are should be reqired
to maintain some space. This only makes sense.

Perhaps you should tell them. I bet they never thought of that. Wow,
thanks for the tip and I'll pass it on to my relatives in the San Diego
area. Since you are willing to share this tip, how much space do you think
should be kept clear when 90 mph winds with 5% RH are carrying hot embers?