Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Outside wood burning furnace help needed????

Jon Elson wrote:

Butter wrote:

Guy at work is constantly talking about this now that its getting
cold and I had the idea that the place to find someone who had done
this was people with the skills to do it. What would be the point of
asking office people for example how to do anything. We have acess to
steel sheet from 12 ga to 3/8 thick.

Nobody else mentione this, so I thought I should. What you are talking
about is a potential BOMB! You absolutely must have proper safety
controls on it so the boiler cannot ever get overheated. (I'm not sure
how you do this on a wood-heated boiler.) For gas or oil, you just cut
the burner off if the circulator pump quits. You might actually have to
have some sort of fire-putter-outer in case of electrical outage, pump
motor failure, etc. If the worst happens, you may have to just let the
water out, and melt the boiler.

Jon

All water heating systems have a overpressure valve commonly called a
Watts valve since the Watts company makes a lot of them. You have one
on your water heater and they are installed on all water circulating
boilers. They have to be sized for the burner. Most modern water
radiator type systems have an automatic fill into the system. Back flow
valves must be installed so water cannot flow from the closed system
back into your fresh water system.

John