Posted to alt.home.repair
hobbes hobbes is offline

Default Landscape lighting fixtures - low voltage

On Oct 24, 6:05 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
hobbes wrote:
I am interested in installing some low voltage landscape lights. I am
looking at 12v systems. I looked at the lights at Home Depot (Malibu)
where the spot lamps 20w are about $US 14.00 each. These look flimsy.
If I were to spend something like $US 30 per lamp, what would be a
good brand / model to buy?

I just bought & installed the HD Malibu Metal series kit (made by Intermatic)
and and very pleased with how it looks. The fixtures (bullet & spot) are heavy
aluminum and the kit comes with 100' of the HD power cord. Much nicer than the
plastic pagoda lights. Used the bullets to light a 30' flagstone walkway and the
spots to wash the house.

Installs easy and looks like it will last a long time. Only suggestion would be
if you buy additional cable, be sure to get the HD kind and not the standard or
light gauge stuff. Too much voltage drop with that.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Hi Rick,

I was thinking about those Malibu ones as well. The price is great
compared to other ones I see. I was just wondering how they hold up
over time. My thinking was if I get the super nice ones, like $US 100,
I could like buy six of the Malibu. Would one of the expensive ones
really last six times as long?

I was also wondering what the failure modes where. Nomad thinks it is
heat dissapation due to higher resistance. I was thinking thermal
cycle. These fixtures get real hot. I know that because I bought just
one of the Malibu and was testing it with a 12 v battery car charger.
So in the winter when the temperature is like 13 degrees (I am in New
York State). Turing on one of these will move the temperature to maybe
120 and over, too hot to touch. Would that sort of temperature range
break seals and hence allow water to get in? If that is the case is
there any gunk sealant that you could try to extend the live of the
units?

Best, Mike.