Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default hvac question

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

The biggest difference is what they think they can get from you.

Check carefully to see that each is actually quoting the same thing. Some
may be including material that the cheaper ones are not. Does this
include the duct work? Is the layout done?

If it truly is the same, the contractors references are all good, the
obvious is to go with the lowest bid. Price does not always indicate
quality work. At times, people look at how to do a particular job and
think it is more complex that it really is. Others just want to make a
lot of money, fast.

I'm in the middle of contracting a lot of renovation work building a
manufacturing plant in an existing building. The disparity in some prices
is alarming.

Concrete knee wall
7800
22,000

Pressure wash ceiling and walls
6800
120,000

In both cases, we used the lowest bidder and the work is perfectly
satisfactory.

I was jousting with some hvac person.

The point was that to which you have brought the discussion.

This ain't my first rodeo. I have a reasonable idea how much time it takes
to do a job, how many people, materials, machinery, etc, having had a
background in these areas. So, sometimes it is entertaining when some young
person tries to yank my chain and treat me like I don't know what's going
on. And then sometimes it is exasperating and offensive.

As you said, in both cases low bid got the job and got er done.

It's just all the dancing around that wears me out.

Steve