Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Landscape lighting fixtures - low voltage

I agree. The higher end low voltage fixtures are made exactly the same as
the line voltage ones, with a different socket, and essentially are wired
the same except for the type of cable used. They don't use the stab type
connectors which oxidize in a short time. The 20 watt bi-pin type are fine,
but I find that the MR-16 sockets don't hold up in the hostile environment
of the Northeast

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Low voltage will also require a transformer. Most higher end companies
like Hadco, or Kim, will make many of their fixtures in either voltage.
From my experience, low voltage fixtures don't hold up nearly as well as
line voltage, and the bi-pin sockets of MR-16 fixtures are nothing but
problems

Line voltage fixture may be better quality, but low voltage offers many
advantages to the homeowner. DIY install, no permits, no electrician, no
special wiring to code, no 24" cable burial, less danger,