Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default hvac question

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:37:15 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I got three bids for an ac unit, all using the same unit. One was for
$4,100 and one was for $6,100 and one was for $7500.

Which one should I take? I'm so confused, and as a consumer, I'm so
stupid
I shouldn't have a driver's license.

I guess I had better take the highest bid as that will insure I get the
best
job, right? Will the most expensive bubba have the biggest and best butt
crack? Will I be expected to perform any other sexual favors other than
bending over to pay the bill?

Any help would be better than being clueless.

Any hvac people out there?

What explains the big difference in price other than the people have a
different image of themselves and a different idea of just how stupid they
KNOW I am?

Steve

Go to a HVAC supplies shop where they have furnaces on display. Take
a good look at how they are constructed and read the installation
manual. Ask the sales counter guys all the questions you have and
you'll find that installing a furnace is not at all difficult. This
is especially if it is only to replace a current one at the same
location. The instruction manual gives all the information you need.
You can even install it yourself. But given your admission of lack of
knowledge of things mechanical pay a contractor to do it.

Get a price quote for the furnace. The basic high efficiency one I
had in mind costs CDN$1,300. A contractor gets a trade discount that
will be a profit to him. Figure out a reasonable the labor costs from
you knowledge of furnace hardware prices.

For a contractor to do more than is specified in the instruction
manual is highly unlikely. Ask what he is doing for the "more" and
you are already armed with the correct knowledge to figure out if he
is fibbing. For a contractor to do less will be a code violation and
highly dangerous for you. You have the correct knowledge from the
manual and from the shop that sells them to out him too.

Talk to the lowest bidder and ask him what his installation work will
involve. He's sounds like the most honest contractor.

This is for a heat pump. All three bids were names given to me by the
general contractor and said to be good craftsman. Just way different in the
price.

Steve