Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default GFCI tripping with drill and grill starter

On 24 Oct, 16:12, "
wrote:
On Oct 23, 2:06 pm, RickH wrote:

So is my GFCI working normally?

My treadmill (it's close to a hot tub) used to do that a lot too,
until I replaced the cheap GFCI with a better one. If your sure the
ground connections are ok and a GFCI outlet tester shows everything is
ok then it could be the outlet. To test try using a GFCI-equipped
extension cord run outside from an indoor non-GFCI outlet, if the ext
cord also trips under the same circumstances then it's probably some
kind of momentary induced leakage current. If the ext cord does not
trip, then it's probably the outdoor outlet GFCI.

-- When I bought the GFCI (at Home Depot) I had exactly one choice for
-- 15A GFCI. (They have 3 grades of ordinary receptacle but only one
-- choice for 15A GFCI.) I can try to get one elsewhere. Any advice
on
-- telling a good one from a cheap one?

Go to the parts counter at an electrical supply store (where the
contractors go) and ask them. Many lighting stores have an "counter
sales" section. Fancy-clothed people up front, workboots and coveralls
in the back.

-- What does a GFCI tester do?

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_think_gfci/