Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Demo Deception?

Robo and George both hit on a couple of truisms. George states
something to the effect that once an enjoyable
hobby is altered to be something one does for a living, it may well
lose its capacity to entertain and become a chore. There are those
lucky ones that have income generating jobs that they can really and
truly enjoy as well as they would a hobby. Robo mentions turning a
bowl in 8 minutes that used to take perhaps an hour. Last night I
went downstairs to my lathe, mounted piece of maple, turned, sanded
and finished the outside in less than 20 minutes. A few years ago it
would have taken a good 90 minutes and this one, done on the fly with
no plan, turned out (pun not intended) to have such a delightful and
classic form. Sometimes doing things without lots of planning produce
exceptionally fine results.

On Oct 24, 3:38 pm, "George" wrote:
"robo hippy" wrote in message

oups.com...

George, I can core a 12 inch wide by 5 inch deep bowl in about 90
seconds.

There you are. I enjoy the time at the lathe for seven and a half minutes
more than you. Glad I'm not forced to do it for a living, or it would seem
like work.