Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Sealing Pine Knots

Wed, Oct 24, 2007, 4:56pm (EDT+4) (efgh) doth sayeth:
One coat of shellac works well for me. The problem I have is that it
usually takes 3-4 coats of white paint to cover the darkness of the
shellac so you can't see it. I'd like to use something lighter in colour
like a polyurethane but I'm wondering if has the same sealing results of
shellac.

Well, apparently your one coat of shellac "doesn't" work well. If
it did, you wouldn't be asking. I use latex on a variety of my
projects. With no problems. I do use good quality indoor/outdoor. One
coat usually meets my needs, sometimes two. You may want to try a
different brand, and/or better quality. I haven't used shellac in
decades, but do understnd it comes in different shades. You might want
to buy flakes, and mix your own. Anyway, I think it's more likely the
darkness of the knot, and not the shellac, that you want to cover up. I
don't recall you saying what it is you paint. If you want viable
know what they say, "GIGO, garbage in, garbage out".

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."