Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Elementary question on tiling a kitchen floor.

On Oct 24, 11:24 am, "
wrote:
On Oct 24, 11:35 am, valvejob wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 04:50:20 -0700, "

wrote:
we have pulled up the old floor, screwed down a robust new subfloor
out of plywood and are almost ready to tile.

I did some tiling years ago but not a kitchen.

One thing that puzzles me, but is probably a really dumb question is:

- do you tile the whole floor, or only up to where the cupboards are
going to be?

I have seen on the web where you only do up to the cupboard base, but
does that not make it a bear to get the dishwasher in and out because
of the lip between tile height and sub-floor?

Obviously it would be cheaper that way, and that means you would put
the floor in AFTER the cupboards as opposed to before as we were
intending to do?

Help please!? We need to figure out the sequence here soon.....!

If you have already done the subfloor then your question is moot.- Hide quoted text -

mmmmm - not really. The question becomes one of timing. Do we have
time to do the floor before the kitchen arrives? On the basis of what
I have seen so far and what my gut feel is - we are better off to just
tile the whoole thing. BUT if we do not have time, then we can simply
do (as suggested) under the cupboards and dishwasher with suitable
thickness plywood and do the tile later. It is good to have options
being an amateur.....

Thanks all!

Oh by all means, if the cabinets and appliances are already removed,
just tile the whole floor, then you don't have to worry about height
or installation issues or changing your mind about the arrangement
someday. I would say the opportunity to "do it right" is worth
hustling to get the tile in before the cabinets arrive. -- H