Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default propane heater odor?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:58:35 -0400, (Pdk Pdk) wrote:

A phone call from my aunt had her telling me that she thinks
there's an odor from her propane heater. The odor is slight and she's
not even sure it IS from the propane heater, but it seems to be in that
area.
She describes it as a "rotten egg smell" and she "thinks" it's
from the heater, but said "Maybe something crawled into the woodwork and
died." She had the heater serviced about a month ago and all was
apparantly well then.
Until I can get over there, can anyone offer any ideas on this?
Thanks.

I get a pamphlet on propane safety every year from my supplier.
Here's what it says to do if you smell gas. [it even has a scratch and
sniff so you can be sure that's what it is]
1. Get out of the house.
2. Call them from a neighbor's house or from a cell phone *from
outside*. A phone can cause enough of a spark to ignite propane.

Worst case it is nothing, and she and the service guy will have a good
laugh. Best case he'll fix a leak before her house blows up.
[my provider does not charge to check possible leaks-- they'd rather
make a dozen useless calls than have one house explode]

Jim