Posted to rec.woodworking
efgh efgh is offline

Default Sealing Pine Knots

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ps.com...
If you are using bullseye shellac out of the can, it is not dewaded
and could be one reason paint isn't coveriing well over it.
Regardless, look for another product by Zinser called Killz (not sure
about spelling). It is a covering primer that I think has some shellac
in it. It is also perfect for covering sappy knots and is a white
primer paint. I would do one complete base coat of this with maybe a
liitle more where you have the knots, then the top coat of paint will
be consistent.

If you want to stick with shellac you can stry scuff sanding before
you do a top coat. With Killz you can build it up thick and then sand
it out to get a very smooth base for your paint, which is really
reccomended for any over wood application if you want smooth finish.

I've tried a Zinser primer that had shellac in it and the knots still bled
through after about a year. I guess what I'm wondering if anyone has tried
a polyurethane like product and got the same results if they had used
shellac.