Richard J Kinch

Default "Penetrating" Oil

Ted Bennett writes:

What is this stuff? What makes it more penetrating than any other low
viscosity oil? Maybe some solvent/surfactant added to aid the oil's
ingress?

Nothing but a light petroleum distillate. In short, boob bait for bubbas,
like most of what's on that aisle with the pretty bottles of stuff to pour
into your engine/transmission/stuck-bolts/radiator/etc to fix expensive
problems as if by magic. Check the MSDS if you don't believe. I confess
to still having a can on the shelf from my ignorant youth.

Kind of like selling ordinary glue with "weld" in the product name. You
suggest what would be illegal to claim, and the casual or the simple will
buy.