Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Very thick leather? (1/4 in thick)

Ignoramus705 wrote:
I have a couple of leather belts made from some very thick
leather. They are about 1/4" thick. (from a screw machine shop)

What animals do they come from? I do not think that cows have skin
that thick.

My experience with making leatherbelts to go with the buckles Ive made
is that this thickness leather comes from the larger bovine species
larger Charolais cows, bullocks etc.
If you have read the book about the leather boats called the Brendan
voyage, this leather was up to 1/2in thick..
Also it comes from the back not the belly.
Most leather you see is split, ie its cut to make 2 skins of 1 animal.
Ive used the thicker unsplit forbelts, also 1/4in thick. My buckles
and belt Will take a mans weight.
This thickness of leather is used as traction engine drive belting
Lovely stuff.
Ted Dorset UK