Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Teenagers pulling pranks

SteveB wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

Black 1/8" parachute cord hung in strategic places has always been a
favorite of mine. About twelve to eighteen inches above the ground, and
fixed to two immovable objects on both ends. Or tied to stands of pipes or
barrels in such an order as to cause noise and pain. Of course, done on
private property. YOURS. It works wonders when camping and having people
cut through your camp site. Plausible deniability there.

Just make sure they have a soft place to land, like grass, when they do
their face plant. Trip wires that just make noise as the cord breaks are
one thing- trip wires (or neck wires) that cause injury are likely to
involve civil and criminal liability. Yes, even on private property, if
not in an enclosed area. Law and case law recognizes that LITTLE kids,
livestock, etc, wander at times and have to be retrieved, and that
others (say, a cop chasing the kid vandalizing a neighbor's house) may
be injured by your booby traps. If you want a perimeter wire, I
recommend fishing line attached to tin cans full of ball bearings,
balanced on a rock. It'll make a racket, but nobody will get hurt. And
it is a lot cheaper than parachute cord.

(In the apartments I used to live in, I had to make a double 18" tall
fence of twine, too wide to step through or across, to keep the damn
ducks from coming on to my porch to steal birdseed. I didn't care about
the birdseed, but when ducks eat, they also ****.)

aem sends...