Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Teenagers pulling pranks

This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

The proper solution cannot be put in writing, or discussed within earshot of
anyone who would deem it excessive.

Use your imagination. Pick one kid and ____ ___ ____ ___ __ ___.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Oct, 16:04, Phisherman wrote:
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

You can't stop 'em, you can only hope to limit the damage.

Replace the trees with water-saving models and they won't be able to
use as much toilet paper as before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sit ouside and wait for them , get some pics or catch em and call police
or take them to their parents..... big dog might work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:04:35 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

Place the TP in the locked cage next to spray paint

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

That's easy enough: don't be an asshole. Assholes are the only ones I can
recall ever getting their houses rolled when I was in school. As a result, I
make it a point never to give the neighborhood kids a hard time. And in over 20
years in the same house, I've never been rolled, egged, or vandalized.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY
A person is justified in jusing deadly force against another to protect land
or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against another (to prevent
damage or to recover his own property); and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believe the deadly force is
immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary,
robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or CRIMINAL
MISCHIEF DURING THE NIGHTTIME (emphasis added);

YSMV (your state may vary)

Warning: If you kill the goblin, the cops will sequester your weapon until
their investigation completes. We had a 70-year old fellow in Dallas last
week who had to buy a THIRD goddamn shotgun because the cops keep
confiscating his weapon every time he kills a burglar!

Least the cops could do is provide a "loaner." It's not like they don't HAVE
any shotguns! Bah.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY
A person is justified in jusing deadly force against another to protect land
or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against another (to prevent
damage or to recover his own property); and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believe the deadly force is
immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary,
robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or CRIMINAL
MISCHIEF DURING THE NIGHTTIME (emphasis added);

What does this have to do with someone toilet papering a house?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

That's easy enough: don't be an asshole. Assholes are the only ones
I can recall ever getting their houses rolled when I was in school. As a
result, I make it a point never to give the neighborhood kids a
hard time. And in over 20 years in the same house, I've never been
rolled, egged, or vandalized.

As a former egger, spray painter, and TP vandal, I can tell you most of the
time I did not even know who lived in the house or drove the car I was
egging etc.
The only thing that set me straight was getting my ass kicked...
and it took a couple of ass kickings but I got the message
of course that was a different time 1980's, I think you can't do much
nowadays, maybe just tazzer the *******s a few times?

Clark...
--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news

Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY
A person is justified in jusing deadly force against another to protect
land
or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against another (to prevent
damage or to recover his own property); and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believe the deadly force is
immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary,
robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or CRIMINAL
MISCHIEF DURING THE NIGHTTIME (emphasis added);

What does this have to do with someone toilet papering a house?

Some moron posted the law about using deadly force to protect property,
because he thinks it applies to kids toilet papering trees. Then, he needed
to include an anecdote about shotguns because he gets all tingly in his
panties when he talks about weapons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy an outdoor motion sensor that chimes indoors. What you do after
you catch them in the act is up to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clark..." wrote in
:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
[...]

paintball gun. Taser is only good for ~15ft range.
PB also makes them identifiable to police.
If you could get pepperball ammo,that would be even better.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in
oups.com:

Buy an outdoor motion sensor that chimes indoors. What you do after
you catch them in the act is up to you.

hook the motion sensor up to your sprinkler system.
they go on your lawn,and they get soaked.
TP doesn't roll so good when it's wet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
What does this have to do with someone toilet papering a house?

it means there may not be much TPing occurring in Texas.
you could get shot for it.

Not all locales protect criminals during the commission of their
crime. I wish Florida would adopt such language in their legal code.

It sorta does. The recent (2005) passage of Florida's "Castle Doctrine" law
establishes the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes
into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily
harm. You may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that
person.

It doesn't matter that the intruder was drunk, or negligent, or mistaken.

Further, you may not be sued for any damages sustained by the victim.

Go Florida!

How all this silliness came about:

For generations (well, at least since the Magna Carta in 1216), there exited
in either black-letter or common law the notion that one's home is a
"castle" and, to remain inviolate, the owner had the unquestioned right to
repel intruders by any means necessary. And that right could not be
gainsayed by anyone.

Then a bunch of egg-heads got together and promulgated the "Model Penal
Code" in 1976. The so-called "Castle Doctrine" was absent from the MPC and
state legislatures, with modest tinkering, adopted the thing wholesale. So
the Castle Doctrine disappeared.

Thanks to publicity Florida generated (mainly) many states have repaired
this deficiency in their state laws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

Pick up the toilet paper, iron it, and use it yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:04:35 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting toilet
papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in school sports
or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I guess toilet
papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be classified as
littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they spray-painted "Ha Ha "
on their concrete driveway. What can be done? What can one do to
prevent their house/trees to be toilet papered?

Well, From all the posts I see everyone wants some type of revenge. So,
Here is exactly what you do.

I sit out with a hose and sprayer on. When they get into the yard you give
them a good soaking.

Of course, Now a days you have things like paint ball guns you can use.

If your not into that sort of thing then ask the police to park a car in
the area or patrol it heavily during this holiday.

Send the cleanup bill to the parents of whoever you or the police catch.

--
coffee
Linux Registered User #449534

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:51:14 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

Many years ago, Florida abandoned the "concealed weapon" term and used
"plain site" later. If the Po Po could see the gun on the seat, or
_plain view_ it was not a Felony for concealment.

In reality you could walk around with a side arm, but was not allowed
to display or carry a rifle/shotgun in the pickup back window while in
the city limits of Miami. Or government buildings for a side arm.

I support any law that says I DON'T have to"retreat to the wall",
before I'm allowed to fire... That's just Oren.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

What does this have to do with someone toilet papering a house?

it means there may not be much TPing occurring in Texas.
you could get shot for it.

You'd have to be a fool to believe a castle law would give you a right
to pull a weapon out for toilet papering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY

What does this have to do with someone toilet papering a house?

CRIMINAL MISCHIEF DURING THE NIGHTTIME (emphasis added);

Shooting someone toilet papering is not protected. It's murder or
attempted murder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:39:58 -0500, "HeyBub"

Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY
A person is justified in jusing deadly force against another to
protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against another (to
prevent damage or to recover his own property); and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believe the deadly force is
immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary,
robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or CRIMINAL
MISCHIEF DURING THE NIGHTTIME (emphasis added);

What does this have to do with someone toilet papering a house?

Ah, okay. A little context: Vandalism of any kind (i.e., toilet-papering a
house, up-rooting mailboxes, graffiti, etc.) has been held in this state to
be "criminal mischief during the nighttime and subjects the perpetrator to
the application of deadly force.

Do you want to prove it? Do you feel lucky?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

That's easy enough: don't be an asshole. Assholes are the only ones I can
recall ever getting their houses rolled when I was in school. As a result, I
make it a point never to give the neighborhood kids a hard time. And in over 20
years in the same house, I've never been rolled, egged, or vandalized.

Not hardly- I got papered this year, and am middle aged, live alone, and
have ZERO interaction with the local teenage population. 3 other houses
in this small subdivision also got papered, apparently at random.
Curiously, none of the every-third-house dogs apparently started
barking, and they bark at everyone, even people that walk by every damn
day. (Guess they have an 'off duty' window in the wee hours or
something...) I suspect the papering is just a teenage bonding ritual.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

Black 1/8" parachute cord hung in strategic places has always been a
favorite of mine. About twelve to eighteen inches above the ground, and
fixed to two immovable objects on both ends. Or tied to stands of pipes or
barrels in such an order as to cause noise and pain. Of course, done on
private property. YOURS. It works wonders when camping and having people
cut through your camp site. Plausible deniability there.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

Motion activated sprinklers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
sit in the yard with a 12 ga. shotgun.

If you can get them, rig a 9v. battery to some steel wool and a M80 or
agricultural firecrackers you can get at gun shows. A small trip wire
causes the battery to tip, make contact, ignite the fuse, and a loud pop
usually gets the attention of everyone within a block. May even get a call
in of shots fired by a paranoid neighbor.

Vandals are opportunists, and avoid known resistors.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:20:19 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
[...]

When we were young, about 5 of us were camping out at the dead end in
a neighborhood subdivision.

Believe it or not, we were innocent. A house in the subdivision was
rolled. The cops came to where we were camping and we were naturally
accused of the "crime"

It turned out that a neighbor to the house that was rolled woke up
because her huge dog was barking. She saw the people that did it and
she could tell the cops it wasn't us. I don't know if they caught the
people that did it, but I was sure glad she was around.

I think shooting someone for rolling your yard would be a little
excessive. I do think shooting someone over a lawnmower could serve
as a good deterrent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman, 10/23/2007,4:04:35 PM, wrote:

This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

If you can't beat them then join them...
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Just make sure they have a soft place to land, like grass, when they do
their face plant. Trip wires that just make noise as the cord breaks are
one thing- trip wires (or neck wires) that cause injury are likely to
involve civil and criminal liability. Yes, even on private property, if
not in an enclosed area. Law and case law recognizes that LITTLE kids,
livestock, etc, wander at times and have to be retrieved, and that
others (say, a cop chasing the kid vandalizing a neighbor's house) may
be injured by your booby traps. If you want a perimeter wire, I
recommend fishing line attached to tin cans full of ball bearings,
balanced on a rock. It'll make a racket, but nobody will get hurt. And
it is a lot cheaper than parachute cord.

(In the apartments I used to live in, I had to make a double 18" tall
fence of twine, too wide to step through or across, to keep the damn
ducks from coming on to my porch to steal birdseed. I didn't care about
the birdseed, but when ducks eat, they also ****.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:04:35 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

This week school's out and houses in my neighborhood are getting
toilet papered. Originally, I thought these houses had someone in
school sports or the house has a coach, but this is not the case. I
guess toilet papering a house is not vandalism, but certainly can be
classified as littering (a $50 fine, max). At one house they
spray-painted "Ha Ha " on their concrete driveway. What can be
done? What can one do to prevent their house/trees to be toilet
papered?

FREE toilet paper is a GOOD THING !!!!!!!
(you just got to re-roll it)

But if it bothers you so much, sit in your window 24/7 with a loaded
shotgun. (of course you might be arrested before the kids) Or start
one of those neighborhood watch groups, and have everyone ready to
call the cops. Your other options is to hire a private security
guard.

Of course if you have a sprinkler system, you could maybe rig up a
motion detector switch to it. That would be sort of fun......
(at least till your motherinlaw comes to visit and gets a bath).

If all else fails, there are lots of politicians in DC that make lots
of money to do nothing all day long. Maybe you could give them a real
job to do, to earn their pay. Call the Whitehouse......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:28:49 -0400, wrote:

sit ouside and wait for them , get some pics or catch em and call police
or take them to their parents..... big dog might work.

Get yourself THIS big dog........
http://www.anadolukangal.net/images/...2006112655.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:04:35 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
If all else fails, there are lots of politicians in DC that make lots
of money to do nothing all day long.

This is a common misconception. The fact is, most of them put in many long hard hours 1) trying to figure out more ways to
spend our money and 2) thinking of new things to make illegal.

;^)

Eric Law

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Just make sure they have a soft place to land, like grass, when they
do their face plant. Trip wires that just make noise as the cord
breaks are one thing- trip wires (or neck wires) that cause injury
are likely to involve civil and criminal liability. Yes, even on
private property, if not in an enclosed area. Law and case law
recognizes that LITTLE kids, livestock, etc, wander at times and have
to be retrieved, and that others (say, a cop chasing the kid
vandalizing a neighbor's house) may be injured by your booby traps.
If you want a perimeter wire, I recommend fishing line attached to
tin cans full of ball bearings, balanced on a rock. It'll make a
racket, but nobody will get hurt. And it is a lot cheaper than
parachute cord.

Right. That's why booby-traps are illegal in every jurisdiction.

Any number of people can enter your property without permission (or even
knowledge). You've mentioned a couple (kids, livestock), but the list
includes civil trespassers (a hobo trying to keep warm), the postman, a
fireman, a peace officer with a valid warrant, meter readers or utility
repairmen, salesmen, even Jehovah's Witnesses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Warning: If you kill the goblin, the cops will sequester your weapon until
their investigation completes. We had a 70-year old fellow in Dallas last
week who had to buy a THIRD goddamn shotgun because the cops keep
confiscating his weapon every time he kills a burglar!

Least the cops could do is provide a "loaner." It's not like they don't HAVE
any shotguns! Bah.

The cops should provide a 'loaner' for anything they take before you are
convicted; guns, cars, money, etc. You keep the loaner until they
convict you or return your goods. Too often the cops confiscate your
bank account so you can't get a lawyer to fight for your rights.