Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Cutting openings in sheet metal ducts.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:01:18 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

My HVAC man uses tin snips. Novel concept eh? Take a screwdriver and
hammer, make a hole, snip away.

Visited the HVAC parts supplies shop recently. Saw a strange 12 inch
screwdriver like tool that has a sharpened V shaped notch just behind
the 1/2 inch blade. So I asked what for and how does one use this
tool?

The tool is used to cut openings, straight lined or curved, in HVAC
sheet metal ducts. Use the front of the blade to punch a slot hole
into the metal. Hook the notch over the sheet metal. Hammer on the
flat of the screwdrivers's shaft just behind the notched part. The
notch will cut cleanly along the path of the blows.

Ingeneous!