Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] eselk@surfbest.net is offline

Default Ok, so can I replace my own water heater?

On Oct 23, 12:50 pm, dgk wrote:
I've been floating around the past few days on this subject. It looks
easy but the gas has me a bit worried. It seems that all I need to do
is a bit of pipe work and the thing should be ok. The vent looks
tough. The current on really doesn't slope up much if at all, and I've
read it should go up an inch every four feet.

I'm no pro, and someone will probably quickly post something to say
this is bad... but I replaced my water heater and had a similar
problem. I ended up using that flexable stuff, the same stuff that is
on my clothes dryer. I didn't get a permit, but I did have my gas
furnace replaced a few months later (hired a pro for that one) and the
contractor and inspector both said what I did looks fine and technicly
didn't violate any codes (the inspector was only looking at the
heater, but I'm guessing he would have busted me for not getting a
permit if he had thought it was a possible safety issue).

I installed a carbon monoxide detector just outside the closet with
the water heater and furnace, just incase.

The new heaters all seem to be a bit taller than the old one, so it
will be even worse without major work venting it higher through the
wall. I guess I need to find a water heater that is the same height or
a bit lower. That seems to be tough so far.

Also watch out for the width (diameter), that was almost a major
problem on the one I got. I got the most energy effecient one I could
find (got it at Sears), which turns out to be a lot wider since it has
more insulation. The contractor that did the heater kept asking me
why I really needed that much hot water, even though I explained twice
that it was the same number of gallons as the one I removed, just a
lot bigger anyway.

I had to re-route the blow-off drain pipe because of the extra width.
Also watch out for the location of that blow-off valve (not sure if
I'm calling it the right thing, but the valve that opens if the
presure gets too high), seems like some of those are a little
different. Usually the top connections are the same, but on the one I
got that valve was a little different if I remember correctly.

And gas does scare me just a wee bit.

Check where you live, but here the gas company will do a free leak
test for you. I think it is supposed to be only for new appliances,
because they want you to convert from electric to gas, but I bet they
would do it for replacement as well, since I could have replaced with
electric (not that I had the extra amps available).