Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer Noozer is offline

Default PEX - Using hose clamps

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
OK, I posted about PEX clamping. I made the mistake of stating my
opinion about it, which is not in favor of it. Thus the whole
discussion thread went in that direction and the original point of my
post was lost.

So, I am posting it again, with the intended question.

1. There are two types of PEX Clamping Tools (Crimp Tools) and two
types of crimp bands being sold. One is just a solid metal ring that
somehow (magically) shrinks when the tool is applied. The other looks
more like a common auto hose clamp minus the screw, and requires a
different tool. Which is better?

If you want a hack job, then use a hose clamp.

I know that a hose clamp will NEVER be as strong as the crimp ring used on
PEX.

Also, you are not supposed to reuse a PEX joint, so if you cut the ring off,
you will need to clip the end off the hose as well.