Posted to alt.home.repair
Mamba Mamba is offline

Default PEX - Using hose clamps

wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:27:07 -0700, "Mamba" wrote:

wrote in message

I never said anything about plastic clamps.

I was refering to your original thread about Pex, where you said:

" I wonder how many pounds of pressure those plastic fittings will handle."

Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were talking about?

The links to the clamps :

http://www.pexsupply.com/categories....D=391&brandid=

The slightly raised area becomes compressed and pinches up, making it easy
to snip if removal is required. Rather ingenious actually.

The tool:

http://www.pexsupply.com/product_dtl...=Watts&cID=391

Easy to use ratchet style compression tool. Foolproof.

Another poster refered to the Pex expander tool. AFAIK, this version has a
"beak" that fits inside the plain connector collars and expands them, then
you quickly slip them on over tube/connector where they retract for
compression. I asked about these at the plumbing shop where I got my
materials. The very savvy guy there suggested that system required a lot
more muscle power than the tool I bought. I believe his quote included the
term "Popeye arms" ;-)

To be honest, it sounds like you just don't beleive Pex would ever be as
good as copper. Everybody's entitled to their opinion.

My opinion (based on comparative use) is that it's easy, safe and dependable
with this clamp/tool system.

Cheers
Gary