Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Gas Hot Water Tank

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 23, 12:04 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Joy" wrote in message

I have not had a single problem with my Sears Power Miser 10 that was
installed 13 years ago but friends are telling me that a gas hot water tank
should be replaced every 10 years. Another friend said that a gas hot water
tank lasts as long as the first day a person has a problem, whether that's
2
years or 20 years.

I would really like to know if there are other things that should be
considered when trying to decide the timing for replacement. Thank you.

If you want to make it last, replace the anode, which keeps it from
corroding.

Life is very dependent on water and usage. Keep an eye out for slow leaks,
which
generally preceed major ones.

Bob

Also, for the overhead clearance problem, they make replacement anodes
that are in 3 sections, so it takes minimal overhead clearance. I
can get a regular one in and out in my basement without any problem.
After about 6 years, when I last checked it was about 1/2 gone. Very
east to check, it just takes a socket (1 1/8" I think or else 1 1/16)/

Unfortunately, some have the anodes hidden under sheet metal and/or insulation.
I check for accessability before I buy a heater.

Bob