Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] eselk@surfbest.net is offline

Default Having trouble soldering copper pipe

On Oct 23, 10:23 am, Heathcliff
wrote:
Gee it sounds like what you are doing is right, and the responses have
been good. One more dumb question: while you are soldering, one end
of the pipe is open to the air, right? (So pressure doesn't build up
inside) -- H- Hide quoted text -

Uhh, no! And maybe that is why I'm having so much trouble with this
"last one", since all of the others wouldn't have this issue since the
pipe was still open. However, I did do 2 temporary end caps prior to
this part of the job, and those went on fine without anything "open".

Unless the fact that I have all of the nearby faucets open counts?
This is for a shower faucet, and I have the sink faucet open (both hot
and cold), and also sink and tub in the bathroom that shares a wall
with this one, plus I have the hose open at the water shut-off valve
coming in to the house... I just open all of those up because I want
to make sure water is out of the lines, so I just leave them open,
plus the water shut-off at the house has a tiny leak, and leaving
these other faucets open keeps the pipes I'm working with free of
water.

I guess I'll open the shower faucet I'm installing, since it can't
hurt (unless I forget to close before I turn the water back on, then
my wife gets wet since she stand in front of it with a 2-way radio to
let me know if I need to turn the water back off in a hurry).