Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] blah@blah.com is offline

Default Deteriorated Power Line Coming into House from Power Meter

The power wire going into my brother-in-laws house seems to be
deteriorated. The heavy gage gray plastic coated wire going into his
meter from the telephone pole seems fine but the wire exits the meter
and runs along some of his bricks (horizontally) for about 10 feet
before it enters the house. I think it's about 30-years old and it
gets a lot of sun exposure. The horizontal stretch attached to the
brick has the plastic sheath delaminated away to the point where you
can see the woven insulation underneath. I assume the wires inside
the woven insulation as also insulated.

Anyway, I assume that the plastic coating coming off the wire is a bad
bad thing and needs to be fixed. The problem area is between the
meter his hook-up to his breaker box in the house. Since he can't
shut off the power at the meter, is this something the power company
would be responsible to fix for free (even though it is on the house-
side of the meter?

He's in Warren Michigan.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.