Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default DVR XP

Both the idea of something that big hanging off the lathe, and possible
side
force on the headstock bearings..

I was told here to use the tailstock whenever I could on stuff like that
minimize side thrust of whatever..

Perhaps not the best practice but I was kind of curious to see if it could
be done without chaging my shorts. That's why I felt compelled to post; it
worked despite my doubtful expectations.

Actually, as I remember it now, it was when I posted pictures of a 10"
round
chunk of plum about a foot long mounted on my poor old Jet mini..

Was the tool rest itself rotating, or the tool rest holder/banjo moving?

The former. The banjo locked solid and the tool rest rotated within the
banjo. I was using a scraping cut at about 4:00 (left handed) So there was
not just downward force on the rest, but a backward force near the end of
the rest. I do not own a curved rest and the geometry would not allow me to
get the rest into the hollow, so there was a fair amount of cantelever.

I've had to adjust the bolt under the bed rails a few times to keep the
banjo
locking tight..

You weren't using that POS tool rest extension, were you?

No, I've seen enough advice against that.

Regards,

Steve