Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default DVR XP

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:34:39 -0500, Steve Russell
wrote:

Steve.. I made my choice last week....

I could have dug up about $3,000 to get a DVR and accessories, or $3,200 to have
the RV carport that I use for the outdoor shop cemented..

The Jet needs some maintenance, but is fine for my business, so the DVR would be
a fun toy..

The contractor came down to $2,400 to dig out the red dirt and pour a 4" slab,
(15 x 40"), so I can roll my tools around, and it seemed like a no-brainer to go
for the home improvement..

Now, If one of the pen orders I've got bids out on come in, maybe a new toy will
be in order.. ; -]

BTW: Since moving to Mexico, I no longer have the problem of large, uneven stuff
to turn... wood is kinda scarce here, especially green..

Back in the States, where we had lots of large logs to play with, if I couldn't
get it pretty true with the chain saw and band saw before it went on the lathe,
I usually used you method of letting the heavy part revolve down.. then went at
it with a recip saw with a real ugly 8" Dewalt blade in it..

Hello Mac,

I know what you mean about the rim speed... Try roughing a 46" platter at
150 RPM. The rim is *cooking* to say the least. I like to call it NASCAR
turning. :-o I did a few 42" bowls not long ago on my outbound side and the
air flow coming off them made it seem like I was standing in front of a
high-velocity fan...

As for your current lathe... Sounds like you can keep it for a while at
least. Maybe you can spend the difference on some sweet tools. :-) Also, if
you do happen to mount an imbalanced piece on the lathe, you can easily
remove some of the weight by using a power carver like the Arbortech, or
even an electric chainsaw to lop off a bit here and there.

Since the lathe will automatically rotate the heavy side to the bottom of
the spindle, it's a simple matter to perform a rough balance on the piece to
help you have an easier time when roughing. If you really get into working
near your capacity, there are balancing chucks you can buy (I have the Kel
McNaughton Balancer) that will allow you to move weights to specific areas
around the spindle to offset for imbalanced loads.

Kel's balancer has 2, (5) pound weights that are independently moveable in a
360 degree radius to balance loads on the chuck/spindle. I use it when
working with larger pieces and with off-centre pieces. Works like a charm!
If I can ever help you, please do not hesitate to contact me. Take care and
all the best to you and yours!
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing