Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Ron Hunter Ron Hunter is offline

Default Duct tape

G wrote:
In article , dj_nme wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message
news:eaVSi.106433$Da.35678@pd7urf1no...

Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on
ducts. It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the
weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal
ductwork.
Wrong. Again.

The original DUCT tape had and still has NO metal foil.

http://tinyurl.com/ywrzu5

Metal tape with adhesive is known as "flashing tape", used to seal the
edges of roofs to prevent the ingress of moisture under the edge of
roofing material or between walls that are built hard up against each other.
Flashing used to be done with lead foil sealed/glued with pitch, now it
is done with adhesive metal [usually aluminium] tape, hence "flashing tape".
In Australia, generic "duct tape" is essentially like a very wide
electrical tape: a stretchy PVC backing with glue on it, usually about 2
inches wide.
This tape that's cloth backed in plastic with an easy release adhesive
sounds more like "gaffer tape", which is used extensively in the
entertainment industry to hold electrical cables in place and for
slapdash on-the-spot repairs.
A "gaffer" is an on-set electrician used during the making of a movie or
in-house electrician for a theatre, hence "gaffer tape".

I never came across using aluminum foil tape as flashing. I have used
it for ducts, for hot exaust pipes, and other uses. Flexible sticky flashing
is now usually done with mineral based sheeting with polyethelene
backing. Most auto parts stores sell metal tape. I used some stainless
tape for covering chrome or chrome like parts. I just recently came across
the cloth tape with mild stick, or gaffers tape. New to me. There are
different backings for duck tape. I like using the remants of the not
available anymore, 100 MPH tape from Sprotsman Guide, orginally used
to repair aircraft wings. It has a stretch unlike most, and really
holds up and sticks well.

greg

An aluminum metal tape is also used to seal the seams between the
metal-backed foam insulation on homes. The adhesive is permanent, and
the tape is pretty expensive as such things go, but it keeps out the
wind (and water) well.