Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Duct tape

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Where in world did you come up with duck? One doesn't
tape ducks; one tapes ducts. Except it isn't very good for that...

So why the latter?

It might originally have been called duck tape. See the Etymology section of
the Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

The issue is confusing, because it wasn't used for ducts until long after it
was invented.

Not so confusing now, as apparently there's a manufacturer of the stuff
with "Duck" in its name, putting out a product called
"'Duck Tape' brand of duct tape." Obviously in their interest to have
folks call it "Duck", but I've not run across this brand ever, but it
explains a whole lot.

--
john mcwilliams
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Duct tape was: [ Why did the professional camera reviewerstotally miss a serious flaw in the camera?]

On 10/21/07 3:01 PM, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Where in world did you come up with duck? One doesn't
tape ducks; one tapes ducts. Except it isn't very good for that...

So why the latter?

It might originally have been called duck tape. See the Etymology section of
the Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

The issue is confusing, because it wasn't used for ducts until long after it
was invented.

And what is worse is that the stuff commonly called "duct tape" - fabric
tape with a silvery but non-metallic coating is actually a very bad choice
for sealing ducts. There are varieties of tape that are made for sealing
ducts but the common "duct" tape is not one of them.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned gaffers tape.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

John wrote on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:25:15 -0700:

?? Then you don't know the proper way to use duck (duct)
?? tape. In a case like this, you use the tape to hold
?? something against the door, so it CAN'T move.

JM Where in world did you come up with duck?? One doesn't tape
JM ducks; one tapes ducts. except it isn't very good for
JM that.....

I see the name is much discussed later but I would debate
whether it is not useful for ducts. It's doing very well in my
house and is good for a lot of other things!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where in world did you come up with duck? One doesn't
tape ducks; one tapes ducts. Except it isn't very good for that...

So why the latter?

It might originally have been called duck tape. See the Etymology section of
the Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

The issue is confusing, because it wasn't used for ducts until long after it
was invented.

And what is worse is that the stuff commonly called "duct tape" - fabric
tape with a silvery but non-metallic coating is actually a very bad choice
for sealing ducts. There are varieties of tape that are made for sealing
ducts but the common "duct" tape is not one of them.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned gaffers tape.

Gaffer's tape is mentioned in the Wiki article, and it's mentioned in
the first line that duct tape ain't so good for ducts.

--
john mcwilliams
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

John wrote on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:05:09 -0700:

JM Robert Haar wrote:
?? On 10/21/07 3:01 PM, "William Sommerwerck"
?? wrote:
??
[...]

JM Gaffer's tape is mentioned in the Wiki article, and it's
JM mentioned in the first line that duct tape ain't so good
JM for ducts.

Despite Wikipedia, I think we should stick to photography :-)
I'm not sure whether we are talking about the same thing!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned gaffers tape.

Gaffer's tape is mentioned in the Wiki article, and it's mentioned in
the first line that duct tape ain't so good for ducts.

Despite having used it for many years I've never heard the apostrophe
added. It's gaffer tape.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:12:11 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

Not so confusing now, as apparently there's a manufacturer of the stuff
with "Duck" in its name, putting out a product called
"'Duck Tape' brand of duct tape." Obviously in their interest to have
folks call it "Duck", but I've not run across this brand ever, but it
explains a whole lot.

"Duck Tape" has been a trademark registered in the US since 1993, for "Elongated
Tape Having a Pressure Sensitive Adhesive on One Side... FIRST USE IN COMMERCE:
19800114." The owner is "Manco Tape, Inc. CORPORATION OHIO 2040 W. 110 St.
Cleveland OHIO 44107."

-- Larry
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not so confusing now, as apparently there's a manufacturer of the stuff
with "Duck" in its name, putting out a product called
"'Duck Tape' brand of duct tape." Obviously in their interest to have
folks call it "Duck", but I've not run across this brand ever, but it
explains a whole lot.

Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on ducts.
It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal ductwork.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Wrong. Again.

The original DUCT tape had and still has NO metal foil.

http://tinyurl.com/ywrzu5

"Noozer" wrote in message
Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on
ducts. It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the
weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal
ductwork.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message

Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on
ducts. It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the
weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal
ductwork.

Wrong. Again.

The original DUCT tape had and still has NO metal foil.

http://tinyurl.com/ywrzu5

Metal tape with adhesive is known as "flashing tape", used to seal the
edges of roofs to prevent the ingress of moisture under the edge of
roofing material or between walls that are built hard up against each other.
Flashing used to be done with lead foil sealed/glued with pitch, now it
is done with adhesive metal [usually aluminium] tape, hence "flashing tape".
In Australia, generic "duct tape" is essentially like a very wide
electrical tape: a stretchy PVC backing with glue on it, usually about 2
inches wide.
This tape that's cloth backed in plastic with an easy release adhesive
sounds more like "gaffer tape", which is used extensively in the
entertainment industry to hold electrical cables in place and for
slapdash on-the-spot repairs.
A "gaffer" is an on-set electrician used during the making of a movie or
in-house electrician for a theatre, hence "gaffer tape".

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
g g is offline

In article , dj_nme wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message

[...]

I never came across using aluminum foil tape as flashing. I have used
it for ducts, for hot exaust pipes, and other uses. Flexible sticky flashing
is now usually done with mineral based sheeting with polyethelene
backing. Most auto parts stores sell metal tape. I used some stainless
tape for covering chrome or chrome like parts. I just recently came across
the cloth tape with mild stick, or gaffers tape. New to me. There are
different backings for duck tape. I like using the remants of the not
available anymore, 100 MPH tape from Sprotsman Guide, orginally used
to repair aircraft wings. It has a stretch unlike most, and really
holds up and sticks well.

greg
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned gaffers tape.

Gaffer's tape is mentioned in the Wiki article, and it's mentioned in
the first line that duct tape ain't so good for ducts.

Despite having used it for many years I've never heard the apostrophe
added. It's gaffer tape.

Kinda like "Can peas" or "Tin peas" in a sense. I'm sure many call it so
without the possessive, but if it's used mostly by gaffers, it should be
in the form I put it. Unless there is a widely used verb (by those in
the Biz.) "to gaff".

--
john mcwilliams
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
msg msg is offline

Steve Barker LT wrote:

Wrong. Again.

The original DUCT tape had and still has NO metal foil.

http://tinyurl.com/ywrzu5

This is a redirect to a 3M product spec page; for this item and
others in the same category, there is _no_ reference to
using the product on 'ducts' anywhere in the description.

"Noozer" wrote in message

Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on
ducts. It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the
weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal
ductwork.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
g g is offline

In article , msg wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Wrong. Again.

The original DUCT tape had and still has NO metal foil.

http://tinyurl.com/ywrzu5

This is a redirect to a 3M product spec page; for this item and
others in the same category, there is _no_ reference to
using the product on 'ducts' anywhere in the description.

I never really considered using the stuff on ducts. I always noticed after
years, the tape would get hard, fall apart and become useless. Some
types last longer, but the typical silver tape.

greg

"Noozer" wrote in message

Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on
ducts. It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the
weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal
ductwork.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
g g is offline

In article , (G) wrote:
In article , msg
wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Wrong. Again.

The original DUCT tape had and still has NO metal foil.

http://tinyurl.com/ywrzu5

This is a redirect to a 3M product spec page; for this item and
others in the same category, there is _no_ reference to
using the product on 'ducts' anywhere in the description.

I never really considered using the stuff on ducts. I always noticed after
years, the tape would get hard, fall apart and become useless. Some
types last longer, but the typical silver tape.

While it would seem to be perfect for ducts, the fall apart business seems
to be the key to it usufullness. Read

"Noozer" wrote in message

Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on
ducts. It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the
weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal
ductwork.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:
Despite having used it for many years I've never heard the apostrophe
added. It's gaffer tape.

Kinda like "Can peas" or "Tin peas" in a sense. I'm sure many call it so
without the possessive, but if it's used mostly by gaffers, it should be
in the form I put it. Unless there is a widely used verb (by those in
the Biz.) "to gaff".

The 'gaffer' is the charge hand electrician on a film etc crew. And only
really one per unit. With a large crew on a big rig he is more likely to
delegate the jobs needed to be done than do them himself - like any good
crew chief. Organise the work among his crew to prevent two doing the same
job - or the lazy ones doing nothing.
Perhaps the primary use of gaffer tape these days is fixing filters to
window frames etc. But I dunno if that was the original intended use -
although old I'm not *that* old. ;-)
But the same tape is equally used by other crafts within the trade - even
although others also have their own tape, like camera tape, fairly
similar to gaffer in construction in that it's fabric reinforced but 1"
wide and white and originally used to seal film tins.

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

It IS duct tape however. What do you think it was originally designed for?

"msg" wrote in message

This is a redirect to a 3M product spec page; for this item and
others in the same category, there is _no_ reference to
using the product on 'ducts' anywhere in the description.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

In article ,
dj_nme wrote:
Flashing used to be done with lead foil sealed/glued with pitch, now it
is done with adhesive metal [usually aluminium] tape, hence "flashing
tape".

I wonder on what sort of construction?

In the UK where buildings pretty well all have stone walls, the lead
flashing is bent into a 'chase' created in the masonry, usually the mortar
between coarses, secured with lead wedges and mortar applied afterwards to
seal. A lime based mortar is best to accommodate some movement. Down the
edge of a roof where it meets the brickwork it will be cut into a step
shape to follow the line of the horizontal bricks. And it's still very
much in use today - despite the cost.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

and........ proceeding to the next paragraph........

:quoting from the same place you did:

The name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning
ducts,

end quote.....

steve
wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:59:08 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

It IS duct tape however. What do you think it was originally designed
for?

duct tape was originally developed during World War II in 1942 as a
waterproof sealing tape for ammunition cases

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
and........ proceeding to the next paragraph........

:quoting from the same place you did:

The name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning
ducts,

end quote.....

That's all pretty brilliant, but all of that has been covered in the
thread. Does no one read prior to posting anymore?

--
John McWilliams
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
dj_nme wrote:

Flashing used to be done with lead foil sealed/glued with pitch, now it
is done with adhesive metal [usually aluminium] tape, hence "flashing
tape".

I wonder on what sort of construction?

The edges of flat roofs, the edges of walls between abutting buildings
(to prevent ingress of moisture between them) and around openings in
roofs (such as hatches, chimneys and skylights).
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

John McWilliams wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Then you don't know the proper way to use duck (duct) tape. In a
case like this, you use the tape to hold something against the door, so
it CAN'T move.

Where in world did you come up with duck?? One doesn't tape ducks; one
tapes ducts. except it isn't very good for that.....

SIGH. It was named DUCK tape by GIs who used it to waterproof
shipping containers, because 'Water flows off it, like water off a
duck's back'.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Then you don't know the proper way to use duck (duct) tape. In a
case like this, you use the tape to hold something against the door, so
it CAN'T move.

Where in world did you come up with duck?? One doesn't tape ducks; one
tapes ducts. except it isn't very good for that.....

SIGH. It was named DUCK tape by GIs who used it to waterproof
shipping containers, because 'Water flows off it, like water off a
duck's back'

Ex-urban legend. Plus this was already covered, ad naseum.

--
lsmft
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Then you don't know the proper way to use duck (duct) tape.
In a case like this, you use the tape to hold something against
the door, so it CAN'T move.

Where in world did you come up with duck?? One doesn't tape ducks;
one tapes ducts. except it isn't very good for that.....

SIGH. It was named DUCK tape by GIs who used it to waterproof
shipping containers, because 'Water flows off it, like water off a
duck's back'.

Duct tape fans unite!
http://www.ducttapeguys.com/onaroll/...er/040106.html

--
Frank ess

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Duct tape fans unite!
http://www.ducttapeguys.com/onaroll/...er/040106.html

DUCT tape is made of METAL!

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
Duck tape and duct tape are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!

Duck tape is made from cloth and is a REALLY bad choice for using on
ducts. It was designed originally to repair tarps and withstand the
weather.

Duct tape is made from metal foil and is designed for use on metal
ductwork.

The original product was called 'Duct tape', and while it was great for
many uses, with a metalized cloth backing, and a rather thick adhesive,
it was tested on actual ductwork, and found severely lacking for this
use because the adhesive becomes hard when exposed to heat, and the tape
turns loose. However, it has MANY other great uses, and the astronauts
on Apollo 13 wouldn't have survived had they not had it along.
It can be a valuable asset around the house, as long as you don't try to
use it on heating ducts.

The product known as 'Duck tape' is simply a cheap knock-off of the
original product, and is, in my experience, vastly inferior.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

G wrote:
In article , dj_nme wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message

[...]

An aluminum metal tape is also used to seal the seams between the
metal-backed foam insulation on homes. The adhesive is permanent, and
the tape is pretty expensive as such things go, but it keeps out the
wind (and water) well.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

G wrote:
In article , (G) wrote:
In article , msg
wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Wrong. Again.

The original DUCT tape had and still has NO metal foil.

http://tinyurl.com/ywrzu5

This is a redirect to a 3M product spec page; for this item and
others in the same category, there is _no_ reference to
using the product on 'ducts' anywhere in the description.

I never really considered using the stuff on ducts. I always noticed after
years, the tape would get hard, fall apart and become useless. Some
types last longer, but the typical silver tape.

While it would seem to be perfect for ducts, the fall apart business seems
to be the key to it usufullness. Read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

Just how do you regard having your duct joints fall apart as desirable?
Seems to be a bit of a disaster to me.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"msg" wrote in message
This is a redirect to a 3M product spec page; for this item and
others in the same category, there is _no_ reference to
using the product on 'ducts' anywhere in the description.

Ironically, NOT for ducts. I suspect some fly-by-night heating and air
conditioning people used it, and it took that name, but it has been
shown to be a very ineffective tape for that application.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

SIGH. It was named DUCK tape by GIs who used it to waterproof
shipping containers, because 'Water flows off it, like water off a
duck's back'.

Also possibly because it was made of cotton duck cloth.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
g g is offline

wrote:

It IS duct tape however. What do you think it was originally designed for?

duct tape was originally developed during World War II in 1942 as a
waterproof sealing tape for ammunition cases

then why does it fail so rapidly when exposed to water or high humidity?

just curious,

nate

The biggest failure is drying out.

greg
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

According to :

It is simply because the crap they sell at Wal-Mart is not GI grade
(AKA 100 MPH duct tape). I had some I used on dive gear that held up
for many years and regularly used under water.
You can still buy it at some military type stores but it costs over
$10 a roll.

While perhaps not _quite_ Mil-Spec, you can get a very close equivalent
at other places. Lee Valley carries it for example.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

I'm not sure who you were asking, but the tape does not and can not be what
holds the ducts together. It is merely for sealing the joint for anal
types. Most ducts don't have tape on them.

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Just how do you regard having your duct joints fall apart as desirable?
Seems to be a bit of a disaster to me.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Just how do you regard having your duct joints fall apart as desirable?
Seems to be a bit of a disaster to me.

If ducts are made properly, they should be locked together by a folded
seam by which the ends of the ducts slide together and an edge is then
folded over to lock it all together.
Look up "pittsburgh seam" or "pittsburgh seaming" and "ducting" on Google.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
[...]

Crikey, Ron, can you not freakin' read?

all of this has been covered. days ago.

--
lsmft
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On 21 Oct, 18:25, John McWilliams wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Then you don't know the proper way to use duck (duct) tape. In a
case like this, you use the tape to hold something against the door, so
it CAN'T move.

Where in world did you come up with duck?? One doesn't tape ducks; one
tapes ducts. except it isn't very good for that.....

Some american hardware stores stock duct tape with the trade name
Duck.

Makes me laugh.