Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil-In-Mich. Phil-In-Mich. is offline

Default Gas Hot Water Tank

"Joy" wrote in message
I have not had a single problem with my Sears Power Miser 10 that was
installed 13 years ago but friends are telling me that a gas hot water
tank
should be replaced every 10 years. Another friend said that a gas hot
water
tank lasts as long as the first day a person has a problem, whether that's
2
years or 20 years.

Episode of Ask This Old House...

The expert plumber, Rich something, talked about replacing the Anode, that
sacrificial metal pipe in the hot water tank. Replacing that metal rod
every 10 years they claimed add lots and lots of years to glass lined tanks.
Looked real easy to change. Water dissolves rod, not tank or copper pipes.

Has anyone ever replaced that metal rod?

Thanks

Phil